I'm living in Vermont so it's cold and the only thing that'll do for dinner some nights is a hot, thick stew.
Which makes Forks Over Knives is my new best friend!
I'm loving their recipes and cooking this one tonight:
Lentil, Chard and Sweet Potato Curry
I'll let you know how it goes ;)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1½ cups yellow lentils (toor dal), rinsed and picked through
- ¾ cup plain vegan yogurt
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, center stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon black salt (kala namak) or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the onion in a large, shallow saucepan, and sauté over medium heat until translucent (about 3 to 4 minutes), adding water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for about 1 minute. Add the jalapeño and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the ginger, curry powder, garam masala, and turmeric (if using). Stir to fully combine and cook for about 2 minutes more, adding water as necessary.
2. Add the broth, sweet potatoes, and lentils. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover again, this time leaving the lid open a crack. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
3. When the lentils are tender and the liquid has decreased, add the yogurt, lime juice, and chard, and cook until the chard is just starting to wilt. Add the salt and the pepper to taste, stir to combine, and remove from the heat. Serve warm.
Find this recipe and more in the Forks Over Knives Recipe App.